Resting on top of a steep cliff, Uluwatu Temple is popular for its magnificent location. It’s one of the top places to visit for sunset.
Perched on top of a steep cliff, approximately 70 meters above sea level, Uluwatu Temple, also known as PuruLuhurUluwatu, is renowned for its magnificent location. It truly is one of the top places on the island to go for sunset, with direct views overlooking the Indian Ocean and the daily kecak fire dance performances as the sun sets. Even though the temple is visited by many tourists, you’re still expected to wear Balinese temple attire and adhere to the general temple etiquette.
Like This Post? Pin it!
You can save this page to your Pinterest board for later. Feel free to follow Bali Buddies Blog’s boards and get the latest pin directly from there as well.
Uluwatu temple is one of the nine directional temples and given its location it serves to ward off evil spirits from sea. In front of the temple lies a forest, home to several groups of monkeys, who are believed to protect the temple from bad influences. Smartphones and sunglasses count as bad influence, so be careful when you’re around those naughty little creatures as they will try stealing whatever they can. There are two viewpoints from where you have stunning view of the temple and the ocean, one is located north of Pura LuhurUluwatu and the other one the south, toward the stage where the kecak dance takes place.
Uluwatu Temple Entrance Fee
IDR 30,000 per person*
*Although we aim to keep the information on our website up to date, entrance prices may have changed since we last checked.
Distance to Uluwatu Temple
- Nusa Dua: 20 km / 45 min
- Kuta: 26 km / 1 h 00 min
- Seminyak: 28 km / 1 h 05 min
- Sanur: 32 km / 1 h 10 min
- Ubud: 53 km / 2 h 15 min
- Singaraja: 108 km / 3 h 30 min
Bali Buddies Tips
- Need accommodation in one of Bali’s top hotels or resorts? Visit Booking.com.
- If you prefer alternative accommodation, such as one of Bali’s stunning treehouses.
- Accidents do happen. In case they happen to you, make sure you have a travel insurance. We recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Arrive without any hassle, book the Airport VIP Fast Track service and your Bali Buddies airport transfer in advance.
- Book your tours and activities prior to departure with GetYourGuide.
- Need to transfer money without the huge fees then check out Wise.
- Always connected to WiFi? Buy a Skyroam hotspot.
- Ensure your devices are secure with a VPN.
Like This Post? Pin it!
PS. Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, we receive a commission. We thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.
Bali Buddies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For more information, please visit our disclaimer page.
PPS. All images are reposted from Instagram, with the permission of the owners of the photographs.