Bali’s second most important temple was rebuilt by the villagers after it was destroyed by the Mount Batur volcano when it erupted in 1926.
Ulun Danu Batur Temple
Don’t confuse Bali’s second most important temple, Pura Ulun Danu Batur, with the more popular Pura Ulun Danu Bratan. Although the names are similar and both are dedicated to Goddess of lakes, Danu, the temples are located an hour and a half drive away from each other.
Like This Post? Pin it!
You can save this page to your Pinterest board for later. Feel free to follow Bali Buddies Blog’s boards and get the latest pin directly from there as well.
The Ulun Danu Batur temple is situated near the Mount Batur volcano, in Kintamani. Initially the temple was built at the foot of this volcano, but after the violent eruption of 1926, both the town and the temple got destroyed, except for its most important shrine; an 11-tiered meru dedicated to DewiBatariUlun Danu. The villagers decided to move this piece to higher land and that’s where they rebuilt the village and the rest of the temple complex, nowadays home to 9 different temples, containing a total of 285 shrines and pavilions, all dedicated to the gods and still one of Bali’s nine directional temples.
Ulun Danu Batur Temple Entrance Fee
IDR 35,000 per person*
*Although we aim to keep the information on our website up to date, entrance prices may have changed since we last checked.
Distance to Pasar Agung Temple
- Nusa Dua: 74 km / 2 h 15 min
- Kuta: 61 km / 2 h 15 min
- Seminyak: 59 km / 2 h 05 min
- Sanur: 58 km / 1 h 55 min
- Ubud: 33 km /1 h 00 min
- Singaraja: 49 km / 1 h 30 min
Bali Buddies Tips
- Need accommodation in one of Bali’s top hotels or resorts? Visit Booking.com.
- If you prefer alternative accommodation, such as one of Bali’s stunning treehouses.
- Accidents do happen. In case they happen to you, make sure you have a travel insurance. We recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Arrive without any hassle, book the Airport VIP Fast Track service and your Bali Buddies airport transfer in advance.
- Book your tours and activities prior to departure with GetYourGuide.
- Need to transfer money without the huge fees then check out Wise.
- Always connected to WiFi? Buy a Skyroam hotspot.
- Ensure your devices are secure with a VPN.
Like This Post? Pin it!
PS. Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, we receive a commission. We thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.
Bali Buddies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For more information, please visit our disclaimer page.
PPS. All images are reposted from Instagram, with the permission of the owners of the photographs.