The Bali locals are all so good at English (and many other languages) they make it quite easy for tourists to holiday without learning the local language.
However when you do try and use some of their language they really love it and are astounded by how well you speak Indonesian/Balinese (even though you only know a few phrases).
Some useful phrases to learn and use easily are:
- apa kabar? = how are you?
- baik = good
- terima kasih = thank you
- Selamat Pagi (used up until 11am) = Good morning
- Selamat siang (11am up until 2pm) = Good day
- Selamat Sore (2pm up until 6pm) = Good afternoon
- Salamet malam = Good evening
- Tidak = no
- sama sama = a response to Thank you, it means you are welcome.
- Sampai jumpa = see you later
- Selamat Tinggal = goodbye
- Siapa nama anda = what is your name?
- Nama Saya Claire = my name is Claire
- Hati-hati = be careful
- Bagus = good
- Cantik = beautiful
- Ya = yes
- Mahal = expensive
- Harga = price
- Sudah = already
*Already is our FAVOURITE word to learn in any language when traveling in Asia. You are always getting offered transport, massages, things to buy, etc, saying already in the local language is a good way to reply and not to continue to get hassled.
Bali Buddies Tips
More Travel Tips
And eventually, your vacation in Bali is got to come to an end. Do not sacrifice all of the good times because of serious lapses of memory on travel regulations: check the weight of your suitcases, make your luggage even safer, carry the right amount of liquids in your hand-luggage, and always make a copy of your documents!