The Bali locals are all so good at English (and many other languages) they make it quite easy on tourists to holiday without learning the local language. However when you do try and use some of their language they really love it and are astounded by how well you speak Indonesian/Balinese (even though you only know a few phrases). Some useful phrases to learn and use easily are:
- apa kabar? = how are you?
- baik.= good
- terima kasih. = thank you
- Salamet Pagi (used up until 11am) = Good morning
- Salamet siang (11am up until 2pm) = Good day
- Salamet Sor`e (2pm up until 6pm) = Good afternoon
- Salamet malam = Good evening
- Tidak = no
- sama sama = a response to Thank you, it means you are welcome.
- Sampai jumpa = see you later
- Selamat Tinngal = goodbye
- Siapa nama unda = what is your name?
- Nama Saya Claire = my name is Claire
- Hati-hati = be careful
- Bagus = good
- Cantik = beautiful
- Ya = yes