With 10 shrines cut out of the rock face, the Gunung Kawi temple is considered one of the most unique temples in Bali.
Gunung Kawi Temple is Set in Lush Green Valley
One of the most unique temples in Bali is the Gunung Kawi temple, located in a lush green vally in Tampaksiri, a mere 30-minute drive from Ubud. Its location is ideal; just a few 100 meters East from the Jalan Raya Tampaksiri main route and only 2 kilometres south of Tirta Empul. This mesmerizing Hindu temple complex comprises 10 shrines, cut out of the rock face, making them look to be free-standing statues. These awe-inspiring 11th century shrines are funeral monuments, standing in 7 metres high niches cut out of the cliff. Each of these Candi’s (Balinese for shrine) are supposed to be dedicated to a member of that era’s Balinese royalty.
Like This Post? Pin it!
You can save this page to your Pinterest board for later. Feel free to follow Bali Buddies Blog’s boards and get the latest pin directly from there as well.
After you entered the premises you’ll be handed a Sarong, which you have to wear as the site is considered holy. Then you follow a path of 270 stairs down. Take your time, there are plenty of souvenir shops along the path, and as the site is surrounded by lush rice fields, stopping every now and then to take photos of the gorgeous green valley is a well excepted excuse to catch your breath (although we recommend you use that excuse on your way back up).
Gunung Kawi Temple Entrance Fee
IDR 15,000 per person*
*Although we aim to keep the information on our website up to date, entrance prices may have changed since we last checked.
Distance to Gunung Kawi Temple
- Nusa Dua: 61 km / 1 h 45 min
- Kuta: 54 km / 1 h 45 min
- Seminyak: 46 km / 1 h 45 min
- Sanur: 39 km / 1 h 10 min
- Ubud: 14 km / 30 min
- Singaraja: 72 km / 2 h 10 min
Bali Buddies Tips
- Need accommodation in one of Bali’s top hotels or resorts? Visit Booking.com.
- If you prefer alternative accommodation, such as one of Bali’s stunning treehouses.
- Accidents do happen. In case they happen to you, make sure you have a travel insurance. We recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Arrive without any hassle, book the Airport VIP Fast Track service and your Bali Buddies airport transfer in advance.
- Book your tours and activities prior to departure with GetYourGuide.
- Need to transfer money without the huge fees then check out Wise.
- Always connected to WiFi? Buy a Skyroam hotspot.
- Ensure your devices are secure with a VPN.
Like This Post? Pin it!
PS. Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, we receive a commission. We thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.
Bali Buddies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For more information, please visit our disclaimer page.
PPS. All images are reposted from Instagram, with the permission of the owners of the photographs.