A holy archaeological site, Goa Gajah Temple is a very popular tourist site and is still in active use as a site of worship.
Goa Gajah Temple – a Holy Archaeological Site
Even though the name suggests otherwise (Goa Gajah means elephant cave), this holy archaeological site is not filled with elephant statues or carvings. The only references to elephants are the statues of Ganesh, a Hindu god with an elephant head, and the gigantic menacing face at the entrance, which is believed to be an elephant face. Goa Gajah is a very popular tourist site and is located only 5 minutes away from Ubud. Hindu priests chose to build the temple on this particular hillside, where two small streams met and together formed a river junction, thus making this site a sacred place. Wearing a sarong is therefore mandatory (you can loan one at the entrance) and as the temple is still an active worship site it is obvious you are expected not to get in the way of local worshippers.
Like This Post? Pin it!
You can save this page to your Pinterest board for later. Feel free to follow Bali Buddies Blog’s boards and get the latest pin directly from there as well.
Goa Gajah Temple Entrance Fee
IDR 15,000 per person*
*Although we aim to keep the information on our website up to date, entrance prices may have changed since we last checked.
Distance to Goa Gajah Temple
- Nusa Dua: 49 km / 1 h 25 min
- Kuta: 42 km / 1 h 30 min
- Seminyak: 31 km / 1 h 15 min
- Sanur: 27 km / 45 min
- Ubud: 15 km / 5 min
- Singaraja: 74 km / 2 h 15 min
Bali Buddies Tips
- Need accommodation in one of Bali’s top hotels or resorts? Visit Booking.com.
- If you prefer alternative accommodation, such as one of Bali’s stunning treehouses.
- Accidents do happen. In case they happen to you, make sure you have a travel insurance. We recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Arrive without any hassle, book the Airport VIP Fast Track service and your Bali Buddies airport transfer in advance.
- Book your tours and activities prior to departure with GetYourGuide.
- Need to transfer money without the huge fees then check out Wise.
- Always connected to WiFi? Buy a Skyroam hotspot.
- Ensure your devices are secure with a VPN.
Like This Post? Pin it!
PS. Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, we receive a commission. We thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.
Bali Buddies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For more information, please visit our disclaimer page.
PPS. All images are reposted from Instagram, with the permission of the owners of the photographs.