You’ll find Bukit Sari Temple inside the Sangeh Monkey Forest. It’s one of the largest of four temples ruled by grey long-tail macaques.
Bukit Sari Temple in Sangeh Monkey Forest
Deep within the woods of the Sangeh Monkey Forest you’ll find Pura Bukit Sari, the largest of four temples located in this green slice of heaven, ruled by grey long-tail macaques. The thirteen hectares of forestland, near Sangeh village, are filled with nutmeg trees and though for many tourists the monkeys are the main attraction, we believe that the temples you find here are unique and very different from other temples in Bali. According to local elders, some of the trees are three centuries old. The tale of Sangeh Forest, which was orally passed down from generation to generation, tells us that it was originally built as a secret royal garden for the Mengwi Kingdom. Nutmeg trees were taken from the slopes of Mount Agung and planted in the garden. The idea of this secret garden however got out and, hence the name Sangeh, which literally means “openly known”. As in any other Balinese temple, a proper temple attire is required.
Like This Post? Pin it!
You can save this page to your Pinterest board for later. Feel free to follow Bali Buddies Blog’s boards and get the latest pin directly from there as well.
Bukit Sari Temple Entrance Fee
IDR 5,000 per person*
*Although we aim to keep the information on our website up to date, entrance prices may have changed since we last checked.
Distance to Bukit Sari Temple
- Nusa Dua: 50 km / 1 h 30 min
- Kuta: 32 km / 1 h 15 min
- Seminyak: 26 km / 1 h 05 min
- Sanur: 29 km / 1 h 05 min
- Ubud: 15 km / 40 min
- Singaraja: 58 km / 1 h 40 min
Bali Buddies Tips
- Need accommodation in one of Bali’s top hotels or resorts? Visit Booking.com.
- If you prefer alternative accommodation, such as one of Bali’s stunning treehouses.
- Accidents do happen. In case they happen to you, make sure you have a travel insurance. We recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Arrive without any hassle, book the Airport VIP Fast Track service and your Bali Buddies airport transfer in advance.
- Book your tours and activities prior to departure with GetYourGuide.
- Need to transfer money without the huge fees then check out Wise.
- Always connected to WiFi? Buy a Skyroam hotspot.
- Ensure your devices are secure with a VPN.
Like This Post? Pin it!
PS. Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, we receive a commission. We thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.
Bali Buddies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For more information, please visit our disclaimer page.
PPS. All images are reposted from Instagram, with the permission of the owners of the photographs.