The Batukarau Temple features a seven roofed meru, dedicated to Mahadewa, the guardian spirit of the Batukaru mountain.
One of Bali’s nine directional temples, Batukaru Temple, is set on the slopes of Mount Batukaru on the western part of the island, and is most likely one of the most spiritual temples you can easily visit. Before leaving your hotel, make sure to familiarize yourself with Bali’s temple etiquette.
Like This Post? Pin it!
You can save this page to your Pinterest board for later. Feel free to follow Bali Buddies Blog’s boards and get the latest pin directly from there as well.
Originally built in the 11th century, destroyed during war-time in the 17th century and only reconstructed in 1959, the Batukaru Temple features a seven roofed meru, dedicated to Mahadewa, the guardian spirit of the Batukaru mountain and considered.
God of the air, water and plants. In addition to this main shrine, you’ll also find sanctuaries for the Bratan, Tamblingan and Buyan lakes. The whole compound is surrounded by forest and the atmosphere is cool and misty. The combination of birds singing and priests chanting is truly mystical. You can even go for a jungle trek after you visited the temple; guides at the entrance of the temple can take you on a two-hour hike for IDR 250,000.
One of the major events at this temple is the annual pilgrimage to the summit of Mount Batukaru. On this day, many Balinese Hindus gather together and go up to the summit all at once.
Batukaru Entrance Fee
IDR 20,000 per person*
*Although we aim to keep the information on our website up to date, entrance prices may have changed since we last checked.
Distance to Batukaru Temple
- Nusa Dua: 66 km / 2 h 15 min
- Kuta: 49 km / 2 h 00 min
- Seminyak: 45 km / 1 h 45 min
- Sanur: 47 km / 1 h 40 min
- Ubud: 40 km /1 h 25 min
- Singaraja: 64 km / 1 h 55 min
Bali Buddies Tips
- Need accommodation in one of Bali’s top hotels or resorts? Visit Booking.com.
- If you prefer alternative accommodation, such as one of Bali’s stunning treehouses.
- Accidents do happen. In case they happen to you, make sure you have a travel insurance. We recommend World Nomads Travel Insurance.
- Arrive without any hassle, book the Airport VIP Fast Track service and your Bali Buddies airport transfer in advance.
- Book your tours and activities prior to departure with GetYourGuide.
- Need to transfer money without the huge fees then check out Wise.
- Always connected to WiFi? Buy a Skyroam hotspot.
- Ensure your devices are secure with a VPN.
Like This Post? Pin it!
PS. Some links in this blog are affiliate links and if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, we receive a commission. We thank you in advance as it helps to keep this website going.
Bali Buddies is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For more information, please visit our disclaimer page.
PPS. All images are reposted from Instagram, with the permission of the owners of the photographs.